Sunday, October 5, 2008

Friday, October 3

{Note: For some reason my camera and computer have decided that they are not willing to communicate – so you will have to wait until I can get some digital copies emailed from some of the other Fellows or until I get home for me to add pictures.}

Hello! I am typing these notes on the plane so I won’t be able to publish them for a day or two – so I apologize if they are outdated or my memory is a bit lapsed.

On Friday, October 3rd we had two more debriefings on the MMF Transatlantic experience before being shipped off to the airport.

First thing this morning (at 8 am or 7 am my time!), we had the most interesting speaker professor from the American University School of International Service, Gary Weaver. According to his bio/introduction he teaches courses on psychology and sociology with an emphasis on the cultural aspects of international politics. He was there to give us some background on European culture as well as American culture and how an understanding of both would empower us to better communicate over the next 20+ days. What I found most fascinating was the fact that most Americans don’t believe that there is an American Culture. His analysis was that we could really break American vs. European Culture down to just two verbs: be vs do. Americans culture is all about to do, what is your occupation, are you going somewhere this evening, what did you “do” on your vacation. Whereas European culture is all about being. Further, Europeans “tend” to be more realistic or fatalistic while they perceive Americans to be way to optimistic. Of course these are gross over simplifications – however, think about what level of truth exists for you.

After Gary, Thomas K-B (sorry I have no idea how to spell his last name and the book is in my luggage) he is a Director of Policy Programming at GMF and he spoke with us regarding transatlantic relations. Whereas Gary shared historical and statistical data {Did you know you are six times more likely to get mugged in London as you are in New York?}; Thomas shared the common perceptions of the day. Ideas on immigration/migration within the European Union, misconceptions regarding race, questions regarding the rising tide of racism. It was an interesting discussion and brought lots of questions to the fore.

After our sessions, around 1:30 or 2, our fearless leaders (Neil, Emily and Sasha) sent us off to Dulles to catch our flight to Brussels!

So here we sit, on the plane to Brussels from DC. I doubt that I will do much more typing as there really is NO room between me and the seat in front of me. Though as an aside, if any of you have an ipod and you are going to be doing any international travel I highly suggest the purchase of a new toy/accessory. Rico, (he is a fellow Fellow and the Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies) has a pair of sunglasses that plug in to his ipod. They turn the ipod into a wide screen tv. Amazingly cool! I was sitting next to Rico and he let me try them and I have to say that they are fabulous. I would, however, suggest that if you have the opportunity to purchase and they have some that wrap around and give full eye coverage that you invest in that style – these you could see under until you were completely engrossed in the movie.


Well, more on my next dispatch from Europe!

No comments: